January 12, 2014

Xtreme Cocoa Pebbles Banana Berry Smoothies


So, I did something a little bit silly.

I put an entire breakfast into a blender and I made it a smoothie.

I blame John Green. He put the idea in my head by blenderizing a happy meal.

My original idea was just to soak the cereal in milk and strain it out, making Xtreme Cocoa Pebbles chocolate milk. So I put the cereal in a bowl, poured some milk, and put it in the fridge while I caught up on my DVRed shows. (White Collar- totally called that twist. Community- genre spoof episodes are the best. Psych- can Cary Elwes be in all the things?) When I went back to check on it, the cereal had sogged up so much that it kind of looked like rice pudding. And I'm like, yay, I can skip a step and not strain this out. But if soggy cereal skeeves you, feel free to strain it out.
This was originally meant to just be banana and pebbles milk, but I still had some frozen raspberries in the freezer, so I threw them in. Because chocolate plus raspberries is always a good idea.

This smoothie is super thick. It's like a milkshake, but much healthier and more nutritious. Just skim milk, frozen fruit, and breakfast cereal. And chocolate syrup, because chocolate syrup. It's a complete breakfast in portable form. And rather more delicious than a blenderized happy meal. Banana and raspberries plus cocoa pebbles? You can't really go wrong. The super chocolate-y-ness of the Xtreme Cocoa Pebbles worked well for this. It was better than chocolate milk-- they added flavor and sweetness, as well as texture and nutrition.
I tried to be all fancy and swirl chocolate syrup on the inside of the glass, but it didn't work too well. C'est la vie

Xtreme Cocoa Pebbles Banana Berry Smoothies
Yield: 4 smoothies

Ingredients
1½ cups skim milk
1 cup Xtreme Cocoa Pebbles
2 bananas, frozen
1 cup frozen raspberries
1-2 tbsp. chocolate syrup (depending on how chocolatey you want your smoothies)

Directions
Add the milk and Xtreme Cocoa Pebbles to a bowl and stir. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for minimum 1 hour (stirring once or twice to make sure the cereal is evenly coated).

Add the bananas, raspberries, chocolate syrup, and the milk/cereal mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.

Recipe by Kim
*Disclaimer: I received free samples of Post Xtreme Cocoa Pebbles cereal for the purposes of review. I received no further compensation. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*