December 5, 2013

Mini Chai Tea Cakes


I kind of have a lot of mini loaf pans.

Like, a lot.

It's not quite as bad as my silicone ice cube tray collection, because they take up a lot more room, so I can't justify buying as many. But I still own more than any normal person should. I tell myself it's because they make great gifts, but when the time comes, I find myself hesitant to part with them.

Is this what hoarding looks like?
I broke out the mini loaf pans to whip up these quick and easy cakes. I used my Homemade Yellow Cake Mix, and just replaced the water with strong-brewed black tea, added some chai spices, and topped it with some struesel. Which the cake kind of ate, but it's tasty, so I don't blame it.

You can use any yellow cake mix for this recipe, just follow the instructions, replacing the water with tea, and adding the spices. It's not a strong flavor, but it gives it a nice subtle kick. And if it has tea, that means you can eat it for breakfast. You have my permission.

Chai Tea Cakes
Yield: 4 mini loaves

Ingredients
For the cakes:
1 recipe Yellow Cake Mix
3 eggs
3/4 cup strong brewed black tea, cooled (I used 4 tea bags with 3/4 cup boiling water)
1 & 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. allspice

For the streusel:
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp. packed brown sugar
2 tbsp. cold butter, diced
1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour 4 mini loaf pans. In a large mixing bowl, mix together all cake ingredients until no lumps remain. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.

Add all the streusel ingredients to a food processor, and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs (or cut in the butter with a pastry cutter). Sprinkle liberally over the loaves.

Place all four loaf pans on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake 25-35 minutes until the tops bounce back when lightly pressed. (You may want to rotate them once during baking to ensure they cook evenly, or only bake 2 at a time). Allow to cool completely on wire racks

Tip: You can use any cake mix. Just follow baking directions, adding the spices and replacing the water with tea. Or, use any yellow cake recipe, steeping the tea in the milk.

Recipe by Kim