February 18, 2013

Open-faced Balsamic Chicken & Goat Cheese Sandwich


Okay, guys. I totally had this dream that I met Benedict Cumberbatch. And I was in my pajamas. They were my flannel gray pajamas with pink polka dots. And my hair was a mess, and I was holding Needy McSnuggles.

Even in my dreams, I'm a hot mess.

He rang the doorbell, and I opened the door (while holding the cat; I don't think that's something I could manage in the waking world. Needy McSnuggles is two armfuls of purring fur at the best of times). And he just smiles and says hello.

And my dreamself just kind of blinks at him and goes, "Do I know you?"

He introduces himself as the British actor (quite literally) of my dreams, and because my subconscious thinks so highly of me, I respond, "No, you're not. You're standing on my porch. You can't be Benedict Cumberbatch because you're standing on my porch."

I don't remember what else happened. I think there was cake. And there might have been some crime-solving. But I'd like to think that I invited him inside and fed him, because feeding people is what I do.
I could have made him this sandwich. While sounding and tasting very fancy, it's a breeze to put together. You just slice up some chicken. Put it on some bread. Put some salsa on top of the chicken. Crumble up some goat cheese on top of that, and a little bit of shredded mozz, just for meltability. Drizzle with some balsamic and shove it under the broiler. Make awkward conversation with your unexpected guest for a few minutes until the mozz is golden brown and bubbly. Serve and impress, and then while he's distracted with food, run to the bathroom and try to put your hair in some semblance of order. Maybe take off the fuzzy slippers and try to brush off some of the cat hair.

Moral of the story? There is none. I'm awkward, my subconscious knows it, and this is a tasty sandwich.

Open-faced Balsmic Chicken & Goat Cheese Sandwich {Printable Version}
Yield: 1 sandwich

Ingredients
2 thick slices of your favorite sandwich bread
About ½ large cooked chicken breast, sliced into thin pieces (preferably flavored with balsamic vinegar)
2 tbsp. salsa, drained*
1 oz. goat cheese
¼ oz. shredded mozzarella
Balsamic vinegar

Directions
Place the chicken on each slice of bread in an even layer. Top with salsa. Crumble the goat cheese on top and sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and place under the broiler for a few minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Serve hot.

*Make sure to use a quality brand of salsa with a lot of flavor.

Recipe by Kim