August 19, 2012

Sunday S'mores: S'mores Scones


I kinda sorta maybe a little bit lied last week. The last Sunday S'mores will be the last Sunday in August, not the 2nd. The 2nd is still baby CC's first birthday and I will be making stuff for him (including the smash cake-- I'm not sure why I love the idea of him face-planting into one of my creations so much), but I miscalculated the number of Sundays. I'm taking a vacation last week in August, so wishful thinking has me a week ahead. And since CC's having a Toy Story themed birthday, my s'mores-y treats don't work in too well. So next week will be *gasp* the very last Sunday S'mores.

Since I know you're all desperate for details of my vacation, well sorry to disappoint you, but it will be a staycation. Actually, I've been calling it my craftcation, and my brother's been calling it the anti-diet vacation. I plan on crafting. And baking. And sleeping in. And snuggling with Sir Purrs-a-lot (aka Jake). And making goodies for CC's birthday party. I know, I'm boring, but please note that this will only benefit you, my lovely readers.
So we move onto scones. S'mores-y scones. My family loves scones. I'm really not sure why I don't make them more often, since they're quick, easy, and require minimal clean up. Stumped for an idea this week, and realizing that I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, scones seemed like the way to go. I adapted a recipe that I had for pecan banana bread scones since it used brown sugar and cinnamon, I subbed in some whole wheat flour and swapped the sour cream for yogurt (because that's what I had), and added some honey. Then I mixed in some chocolate chips, drizzled on some marshmallow, et voila! More s'mores for breakfast.

I will admit that the scones weren't as graham cracker-y as I wanted, and the yogurt kind of covered the flavor of the honey. But they were still some darned good scones. And they were nice and filling, so they're a good breakfast. Just take one of these, maybe a little fruit, and a glass of milk (or tea, or *blech* coffee), and you're good to go.

S'mores Scones {Printable Version}
Yield: 8 scones
 
Ingredients
1¼ cups all-purpose flour
1¼ cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. salt
½ cup cold butter, chopped
¾ cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp. honey
Marshmallow drizzle, to decorate


Directions
Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon,
and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender (or rub it in with your fingertips) until the mixture
resembles coarse crumbs. Add in the yogurt, chocolate chips, and honey and stir well (mixture will seem
dry and crumbly). Turn out the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead gently about 10 times.
On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat mat, shape the dough into an 8-inch round.
Using a sharp knife, cut the round into 8 wedges, but do not separate them. Bake 18-20 minutes, until
the tops and edges are golden brown. Remove the scones from the cookie sheet and place on a wire
cooling rack, carefully separating them. Drizzle with marshmallow and serve warm.


Tip: To make your own marshmallow drizzle, heat marshmallow crème (Fluff) and a little bit of water in the microwave for a few seconds.


Recipe adapted from Gold Medal Best Baking Recipes Magazine