June 17, 2012

Guest Post: S'mores Cookies (Sunday S'mores)




Hello and welcome to another Sunday S'mores! I'll be back soon, but until then, I'm leaving you in the best of hands. Today we have a guest post from the incomparable Heidi of Young Grasshopper. Heidi's tons of fun, and I'm so happy she agreed to help out today. Take it away, Heidi!


S'mores Cookies

HAPPY SUNDAY S'MORES!
I'm VERY excited that Kim asked me to pop over to her "place" for Sunday S'Mores. I adore S'mores.... I mean who doesn't? And since it's not always practical to light a campfire.... it's important to have some other avenues to get to that same yumminess!



I searched and searched for a "different" approach to S'mores and ultimately picked this recipe because we've tried to cut white flour out of our diet and so when this popped up in my google search from Bon Appetit I knew it was "the one." Initially, I followed it to the letter but they were just "o.k." and then I saw someone else's post {and I wish I could remember who} with some marshmallow on top so when I baked my second batch I kicked it up and over the top with the recipe below!


S'MORES COOKIES

WHAT YOU NEED:
for the cookie dough

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
3/4 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk {I didn't have any so I soured a 1/2 cup of milk with a tsp of lemon juice for 15 minutes}
1 TBSP dark molasses
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
for the topping
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup mini marshmallows

WHAT YOU DO:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray large rimmed baking sheet with butter flavored nonstick spray. Combine all your dry ingredients in a bowl then add everything else except the topping and mix well. I used my Kitchenaid and I would recommend a beater of some sort because it shredded the marshmallows somewhat.

Drop cookie dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheet, spacing well. Bake cookies for 7 minutes and then quickly {and carefully} top with 3 or 4 mini-marshmallows and 6 or so chocolate chips. Put back in oven for another 7-8 minutes. They will look like a hot mess.... but fear not they'll firm up just fine.
Remove from oven and let cookies cool on sheets 10 minutes before transferring to racks {if there are any left.... they were awesome warm and cool}.

NOTE: I made the dough and baked a batch a day for several days.... it held up well stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
ENJOY :)
Thanks again Kim for having me and I hope you'll stop by Young Grasshopper to see me...

Heidi