May 14, 2012

Cookie Dough Truffles


Sorry for the radio silence the past few days, you guys. I completely missed Mother's Day. In fact, these were meant to be my Mother's Day post. But I ended up spending Mother's Day weekend with my grandmother in the rehab facility. She had a cold that landed her in the hospital a while back, and that got upgraded to pneumonia which left her really weak, so she went to the rehab facility to get her strength back up. She was supposed to go home on Friday, just in time for Mother's Day, but the doctor said she was just too weak. Suffice it to say, I haven't really been in the mood to be silly or irreverent.
Whenever I go visit her, I bring treats. It's what I do. It's all that I can do. For Mother's Day, I made devil's food cupcakes because that's what she had requested when our plans were much different. But the Saturday before, I made no-bake cookie dough truffles. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Gram likes these cold and firm, but you can eat them at room temperature if you prefer. They're a simple, decadent alternative to chocolates, for any special occasion. Or any occasion at all.

Cookie Dough Truffles {Printable Version}
Yield: 70 truffles
 
Ingredients
1 cup unsalted butter or margarine, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce or 1 small banana, mashed*
2 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. salt
2 – 2½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1½ lbs. chocolate or candy melts, for coating**


Directions
In the bowl of a stand mixer or in a large mixing bowl with electric beaters, beat the butter and brown
sugar on medium speed until fluffy. Add in the applesauce or banana, vanilla, and salt, and beat until
smooth. Gradually add in the first 2 cups of flour. If necessary, add in the remaining flour, ¼ cup at a
time, until the dough is no longer sticky.


Line a rimmed baking sheet with waxed paper. Roll the dough into small balls using a melon baller and
place on the baking sheet. Freeze for 20-30 minutes or until firm.


Melt the chocolate. Dip each truffle into the chocolate making sure to tap off the excess. Place on a
baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Refrigerate until the chocolate has set. Serve chilled or room
temperature.


*Mashed banana will add a banana flavor to the truffles, which my family actually prefers.
**I prefer the flavor of milk chocolate to coat the truffles; however candy melts do melt more smoothly and cover more evenly.

 
Recipe by Kim


This recipe is featured on  http://www.foodiefriendsfriday.com  Linky Party
Foodie Friends Friday