February 25, 2012

Peach Crumble Cups

Pin It
Real life has been getting me down guys. It's the job mostly. Other things, too, but it's always the job. Receptionists get absolutely no respect. If it's not someone pissy with me on the phone, it's someone talking down to me to my face. Or someone not telling me they were expecting a guest, so I go crazy trying to get in contact with them, and then when I finally do they go, "Oh, our meeting isn't scheduled for another half an hour. Ask them to wait." I could have done that when they walked in if you'd just told me when this meeting was taking place instead of giving myself an ulcer because I have a person waiting and can't get in touch with the person they're meeting.

Sorry, just needed to vent. Anyway, I haven't felt much like baking when I get home. Today wasn't much of an exception, except that I did want to bake. Just not anything hard. Or anything that would take too long. Or anything that would make too much of a mess. Short of using a cake mix, which I rarely do, that's not easily accomplished. So I scoured the pantry and look what I found:

Peach chunks in heavy syrup and apple crisp mix (basically struesel without the butter)
Peach crumble would be super easy and sounded really good to me. But I decided to take it a step further and make individual peach crumbles. My first thought was to whip up my pretzel crust, but I was told that a graham cracker crust would go better with peaches. So I whipped up a graham cracker crust and pressed it into a jumbo muffin tin and prebaked it for a few minutes. Then I mixed up the crisp mix (and added some extra quick oats, just cause I felt like it), drained off the peaches (it's okay to leave a little bit of the syrup), and add them to the prepared crust.
And just bake until browned. I actually could have baked these a little longer, but I prebaked the crust too long, and it was getting overdone. Let these puppies cool completely in the tin and they'll pop straight out in pretty individual crumble cups.
Greasing the tin is completely unnecessary. Just run a butter knife around the edge when they're completely cooled, and they'll pop right out. The perfect individual portion of peach crumble. But it is missing something, don't you think? Let me see what I have...
Yes, I already had peach ice cream in my freezer. No, I didn't plan for this. Sometimes these things just work out and you believe once more that there is good in this world. Peach ice cream can do that.
Therrrrrre it is.

Peach Crumble Cups {Printable Version}
Yield: 6 cups

Ingredients
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 can peach chunks in heavy syrup
1 apple crisp mix plus ingredients called for on the package*

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and brown sugar. Press the mixture into an ungreased jumbo muffin tin, making sure to come up the sides. Bake the crust for 5 minutes, then let cool on a wire rack.

Prepare about 1 cup of the apple crisp mix. Set aside. Drain off most of the syrup from the can of peaches and divide the peaches and remaining syrup evenly between the six crusts. Sprinkle liberally with the crisp mixture and bake for 20 minutes, or until the crisp mixture is browned. Let cool completely on wire racks before serving.

*Any struesel recipe can be used in place of the apple crisp mix

Recipe by Kim




This recipe is featured on http://www.foodiefriendsfriday.com Linky Party
Foodie Friends Friday